• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-September-05, 14:25

From "It's Your Call" this month:

1 - Pass - Pass - 2*
Dbl - Pass/ReDbl = ?

*Michael's

1. What do you play as pass and what do you play as redouble?

2. Related question. If Advancer passes, what is redouble by overcaller (cuebidder)?
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-05, 14:56

I have never discussed this auction with anyone. But I am pretty sure I know the best treatment: pass shows interest in clubs, and redouble shows interest in diamonds (or the other way). I learned this treatment in a post by Frances.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-05, 15:10

I play pass as "please pass 3" and XX as "please bid your minor over 3". No difference between them if LHO passes. Probably not the best, but oh well.

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-05, 15:41

Pass to play, XX no preference.
The pass to play option makes more sense,
after a minor suit opening, or after a unusal
1 NT overcall.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-September-05, 16:15

I don't mind Frances' treatment, but I think you need to differentiate between pass and redouble absence a special agreement.

Pass to me says, "no opinion"; probably a 2=5=3=3 or something.

Redouble has to mean "I have some nice hearts, pass if you a couple and extra strength / quick tricks". There's simply no reason to make a general strength-showing redouble, as the opponents aren't on the hook for any contract except 2.
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-05, 16:22

pclayton, on Sep 5 2008, 05:15 PM, said:

I don't mind Frances' treatment, but I think you need to differentiate between pass and redouble absence a special agreement.

Pass to me says, "no opinion"; probably a 2=5=3=3 or something.

Redouble has to mean "I have some nice hearts, pass if you a couple and extra strength / quick tricks". There's simply no reason to make a general strength-showing redouble, as the opponents aren't on the hook for any contract except 2.

They aren't on the hook for any contract, including 2. Unless you think your side can take 8 tricks in hearts!

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2008-September-05, 16:31

pclayton, on Sep 5 2008, 04:15 PM, said:

The reason to redouble to show general strength is to investigate for game, not to seek a penalty.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-05, 16:46

Echognome, on Sep 5 2008, 03:25 PM, said:

From "It's Your Call" this month:

1 - Pass - Pass - 2*
Dbl - Pass/ReDbl = ?

*Michael's

1. What do you play as pass and what do you play as redouble?

2. Related question.  If Advancer passes, what is redouble by overcaller (cuebidder)?

1) My guess is xx shows Ace of h and max pass.
pass=no preference for your suits.

#9 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2008-September-07, 12:30

I do indeed play pass = my suit order is clubs > spades > diamonds, and redouble = diamonds > spades > clubs

After pass (=prefer clubs), redouble by the Michaels bidder shows 5 spades and 6 diamonds, 2S shows 5-5 or longer spades.

If partner's cue bid showed a specific two suits (e.g. 1C P P 2C showing the majors) we've now changed to pass = to play, redouble = 1-card preference for the higher suit.

p.s. 1H P P 2H x 2NT = game interest somewhere, 3C = weak, pass or correct. To play in clubs we pass, then bid 3C next round.

#10 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-07, 12:43

FrancesHinden, on Sep 7 2008, 10:30 AM, said:

I do indeed play pass = my suit order is clubs > spades > diamonds, and redouble = diamonds > spades > clubs

After pass (=prefer clubs), redouble by the Michaels bidder shows 5 spades and 6 diamonds, 2S shows 5-5 or longer spades.

If partner's cue bid showed a specific two suits (e.g. 1C P P 2C showing the majors) we've now changed to pass = to play, redouble = 1-card preference for the higher suit.

p.s. 1H P P 2H x 2NT = game interest somewhere, 3C = weak, pass or correct. To play in clubs we pass, then bid 3C next round.

Very nice agreements.

I brought this problem up because on the "It's Your Call" in the ACBL this month, they have a problem:

Both Vul.

AJxxx --- KQx AQTxx

(1) - P - (P) - 2
(Dbl) - P - (P) - ?

It seemed to me an impossible problem without partnership agreements. It didn't seem like a problem where there would be a plurality about the meaning of partner's second pass, not to mention the agreed meanings of our own bids. I polled a couple of friends who said they would XX and that would just show extra values.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#11 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-September-07, 14:03

cherdano, on Sep 5 2008, 02:31 PM, said:

The reason to redouble to show general strength is to investigate for game, not to seek a penalty.

What would 3 be?
"Phil" on BBO

#12 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2008-September-07, 16:29

pclayton, on Sep 7 2008, 02:03 PM, said:

cherdano, on Sep 5 2008, 02:31 PM, said:

What would 3 be?

Game forcing (and a level higher than redouble).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users