BBO Discussion Forums: How did Rodwell find the club Ten? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How did Rodwell find the club Ten?

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-July-22, 19:31

First, there are only 12 cards in the East/West hands. This is intentional. The missing cards are the 10 and 5.

Many forum readers no doubt watched this hand played live on vugraph. The three card ending from this hand is shown below. You can follow the play to get to the three card ending by pressing next in this movie.

Rodwell lead the 6 and West played the 8. At this point, West holds one more club (the 10 or 5) and East holds one more club (the 10 or 5), plus a spade and a heart.

West started with 3=2=5=3 distribution and East with 4=6=1=3.

Rodwell can play West for the 10 by inserting the 9 or East for the 10 by going up with the J.

Other relevant info is West had the K (you can follow the early play in the diagram at the top of the post). It does seem like vacant space favors East having the 10, or does it?

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-July-22, 21:21

On the surface, finessing the 10 seems right. I'm paying off to East who would discard to a bare 10. Not sure that is as likely as 2 discards from 753. Also the 5&8 are equals, so there is likely a restricted choice argument that the 8 halves the chance the 5 is with West. Full disclosure - I did not see this hand played.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-July-22, 21:46

SteveMoe, on 2012-July-22, 21:21, said:

On the surface, finessing the 10 seems right. I'm paying off to East who would discard to a bare 10. Not sure that is as likely as 2 discards from 753. Also the 5&8 are equals, so there is likely a restricted choice argument that the 8 halves the chance the 5 is with West. Full disclosure - I did not see this hand played.

East had to come down to 3 cards, from

?x A A (heart was high spot, not ace, the ? is an "x" or "10" of clubs).

If he discards heart, rodwell's heart is good. If he discards the spade ace, he is thrown in with the heart and forced to lead a club allowing two necessary tricks to make, no matter who had the ten.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-July-22, 22:11

True enough - but what about "restricted choice" for 5&8 by West??
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-July-22, 22:28

SteveMoe, on 2012-July-22, 22:11, said:

True enough - but what about "restricted choice" for 5&8 by West??

Well, I don't know how he got it right. I don't understand how restricted choice would apply here. Perhaps you could explain the implications of restricted choice in this situation, and if West play of the 8 has implications for the 5, what implications did East's discard of the 7 from possible 7 & 5 (or 10 & 7)?
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-22, 22:52

It seems right to play for the drop, but I'm not totally convinced. My thinking is as follows:

If East holds 753, then there are six ways for East to play the clubs if there are no signalling implications, while West only has one way to play from KT8.

If East holds T73, he has two ways to play them while West also has two ways to play with K85 - a total of four.

So it seems to me that the odds are 3-2 in favour of the drop.

All this assumes that the opponents are good enough to work out the situation (which doesn't seem like too much of a stretch in this case) and there is no need to signal. If we read the C7 as showing spades, then the odds shift to 1-1 if East would always play the 7 at trick two or 2-1 in favour of the drop if East would just avoid playing the C3 to send that message.

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-July-22, 23:10

We shouldn't mention the senior moment at the other table.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-July-23, 01:03

Can you 100% rule out Fantoni having swindled you from A10xx ?

I think the play goes the same way on both holdings, the hand is an open book for the defence from a fairly early stage. Not sure if restricted choice really applies here, I think it's just a 50/50 guess.

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-July-23, 01:18

sfi, on 2012-July-22, 22:52, said:

It seems right to play for the drop, but I'm not totally convinced. My thinking is as follows:

If East holds 753, then there are six ways for East to play the clubs if there are no signalling implications, while West only has one way to play from KT8.

If East holds T73, he has two ways to play them while West also has two ways to play with K85 - a total of four.

So it seems to me that the odds are 3-2 in favour of the drop.

Another way to look at this is to treat all the small cards as identical. Assume that we're comparing K10x-xxx with Kxx-10xx. There are 4 of the first and 6 of the second.

All this assumes that the opponents are good enough to work out the situation (which doesn't seem like too much of a stretch in this case) and there is no need to signal. If we read the C7 as showing spades, then the odds shift to 1-1 if East would always play the 7 at trick two or 2-1 in favour of the drop if East would just avoid playing the C3 to send that message.

I can't believe anyone would give count here. 7 looks like either Reverse Smith (which they do play) or suit-preference for spades. Assuming he was signalling, I expect he'd signal with his highest spot card. With 752 only a miser would pay the middle one. With 872 it's natural to play the highest, but maybe he would choose randomly between the 8 and the 7.

If we assume that 7 is East's highest spot, there are two ways he can have 107x and one way he can have 7xx, so I think the odds still favour the drop.

If we think East would treat the 8 and 7 as equals and that West would play his spots in a way that gives no extra information (an unrealistic assumption), there are four ways East can have 10Sx, one way he can have 10SS, two ways he can have SSx, and two ways he can have Sxx. Still prefer the drop.

Maybe you had to be there. Being Rodwell might help too.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-July-23, 01:22

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-July-23, 01:27

Cyberyeti, on 2012-July-23, 01:03, said:

Can you 100% rule out Fantoni having swindled you from A10xx ?

Once you decide to play a club, you have given up on that possibility - RHO would have 10x and a heart winner left.

But anyway, I think you can rule it out. Fantoni is just a very good player, not a demigod, and they don't show him the hand records in advance.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 02:02

gnasher, on 2012-July-23, 01:18, said:

If we assume that 7 is East's highest spot, there are two ways he can have 107x and one way he can have 7xx, so I think the odds still favour the drop.

But there are two ways that West can play their spots with K85 in the first instance, which is where restricted choice comes into it.

#12 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 03:04

It seems to me the drop must be better.
We know the clubs are 3-3 and West has the K, the only forced card on the club play.
Of the remaining 5 cards in clubs it is 60% already that East will hold the T
Furthermore East club discard is restricted choice.
If East has the T his choice was restricted, when he discarded the 3.

If these arguments are correct the drop is a heavy favorite.

A further argument in favor of the drop, though much weaker, is that the drop goes down one less if wrong.
Putting any faith in club signals seems to me misguided here.

Rainer Herrmann

#13 User is offline   ritong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2012-July-23, 03:48

hi guys

are we 100% sure east has four spades and not five?

#14 User is offline   ritong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2012-July-23, 04:06

imho, answer is : we are 95% sure.. east might have concealed the spade 3 from the start, seeing the whole thing coming and simulating club 10xx- that would be a very deep play, for sure- now, it might be an answer to ben's question: rodwell finessed because it was possible that east was out of clubs.

#15 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 05:47

ritong, on 2012-July-23, 04:06, said:

imho, answer is : we are 95% sure.. east might have concealed the spade 3 from the start, seeing the whole thing coming and simulating club 10xx- that would be a very deep play, for sure- now, it might be an answer to ben's question: rodwell finessed because it was possible that east was out of clubs.

With AQJ93 East would probably double for the lead. It would have been a good double even on the actual deal.

Rainer Herrmann

#16 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 06:24

Maybe the hand was not such an open book to east. When east pitched a club, he would have been letting it through from Txx if south had had only three diamonds. Maybe rodwell judged this was an unlikely play from a WC defender when he has an easy heart pitch. If south was 3433 east could have looked pretty absurd.

Its a little tenuous.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#17 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 06:34

Didn't declarer at the other table also score his last two tricks with the 9 and then J of clubs? The play to that point was a little different, but I think the ending was essentially the same.

#18 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 06:50

phil_20686, on 2012-July-23, 06:24, said:

Maybe the hand was not such an open book to east. When east pitched a club, he would have been letting it through from Txx if south had had only three diamonds. Maybe rodwell judged this was an unlikely play from a WC defender when he has an easy heart pitch. If south was 3433 east could have looked pretty absurd.

Its a little tenuous.

I do not know the actual deal and play, but I presume the 8 lead was top of nothing and denied the 9, in which case declarer's diamonds AJT9 were pretty marked at trick one but certainly at the time of the club discard.

Rainer Herrmann

#19 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 07:56

rhm, on 2012-July-23, 06:50, said:

I do not know the actual deal and play, but I presume the 8 lead was top of nothing and denied the 9, in which case declarer's diamonds AJT9 were pretty marked at trick one but certainly at the time of the club discard.

Rainer Herrmann

use the next button to see the play. There are any number of ways that rho can know the exact layout, but if your partner is famous for intelligent falsecards in defence, maybe you have to cater for him not leading/carding according to agreement.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#20 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 08:29

phil_20686, on 2012-July-23, 06:24, said:

Maybe the hand was not such an open book to east. When east pitched a club, he would have been letting it through from Txx if south had had only three diamonds. Maybe Rodwell judged this was an unlikely play from a WC defender when he has an easy heart pitch. If south was 3433 east could have looked pretty absurd.

Its a little tenuous.

I too think the 3 discard by East was unusual ( at trick 7 trick 8 ) when East had a "safe" discard of one of the .
Of course the lead of the K next ( trick 8 trick 9 ) "forces" East to then discard a coming down to the 3 card ending . EDIT: This is where East discards the Q, now coming down to 4 cards which could be:
A
10 x

Now on trick 10, Declarer leading the good 9, and discarding the K, East could safely
discard the Ace ( if he has 10 x; but since he doesn't discard the Ace but a instead, that seems to be the clue. [ End of EDIT ] .

So, Rodwell's thinking goes: Which discard scenario is more likely for East holding the stiff 10.

I think I remember watching this hand ( can't remember one day from the next ) and was amazed he found the 10.

This post has been edited by TWO4BRIDGE: 2012-July-23, 11:18

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users