• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#121 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-09, 09:27

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-07, 16:11, said:

No. Suppose you write something like "Everyone does XXX" in an online forum. There will always be some pedantic nitwit who responds to this to point out the exceptions.

For example, I wrote "always" in that sentence, and now someone should point out that it doesn't really happen 100% of the time, just to prove my point. But if no one does, it doesn't disprove it, either. :)

That is why I "always" put these generalizations (nobody, every time, etc.) in quotation marks (""), except when I don't. :)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#122 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-10, 17:56

One of my chief pet peeves is people who play loud music on the Underground. I wish they would introduce headphone-free carriages.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#123 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-10, 22:45

I work with a woman who has a pet peeve about deaf people using sign language in the quiet car. It really bugs her for some reason.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#124 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-11, 03:24

I work as a TA this term. This guy wrote a solution full of unnecessary solution and finished in 4-5 pages of integrals and identities, seemingly arriving at the right answer. I was just about to write 'next time, look at the hint we gave you and you can do it in 5 lines!' when I realised that he actually wrote that version on the next page headed by 'alternative solution:'. So why hand in the long, ugly one??? Just to take up 30 minutes of my time? If he sends in two solutions, one correct and one incorrect, I will grade the incorrect one.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#125 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-11, 16:43

View Posty66, on 2012-March-10, 22:45, said:

I work with a woman who has a pet peeve about deaf people using sign language in the quiet car. It really bugs her for some reason.

I think I can understand that. While it's not noise, the constant gesticulating can still be distracting. If you're trying to sleep I don't suppose it would bother you, but if you're trying to read it could.

#126 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 16:49

Ooh, another one of mine: people who tap cans of soda before they open them. I mean really, do they think it achieves anything?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#127 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-11, 17:15

There's apparently a common myth that tapping the can keeps it from spraying when you open it.

http://www.snopes.co...nce/sodacan.asp

#128 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 17:50

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-11, 17:15, said:

There's apparently a common myth that tapping the can keeps it from spraying when you open it.

http://www.snopes.co...nce/sodacan.asp

Yeah, drives me nuts. I feel like shaking it and then handing it back.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#129 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-March-12, 06:00

View Postgwnn, on 2012-March-11, 03:24, said:

I work as a TA this term. This guy wrote a solution full of unnecessary solution and finished in 4-5 pages of integrals and identities, seemingly arriving at the right answer. I was just about to write 'next time, look at the hint we gave you and you can do it in 5 lines!' when I realised that he actually wrote that version on the next page headed by 'alternative solution:'. So why hand in the long, ugly one??? Just to take up 30 minutes of my time? If he sends in two solutions, one correct and one incorrect, I will grade the incorrect one.

I can suggest an explanation. Maybe he didn't at first see the hint, or didn't understand the hint. He worked it out on his own and then saw or understood the hint, but wanted to submit the solution that he did completely on his own. He might have mentioned this of course, but I'm sort of his side on this.

As a general rule I never liked problems with hints. Call it a pet peeve so that it qualifies for this thread. I felt that it intruded on my autonomy. The general consensus was that I was nuts.
Ken

#130 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-March-12, 07:43

View Postkenberg, on 2012-March-12, 06:00, said:

I can suggest an explanation. Maybe he didn't at first see the hint, or didn't understand the hint. He worked it out on his own and then saw or understood the hint, but wanted to submit the solution that he did completely on his own. He might have mentioned this of course, but I'm sort of his side on this.

As a general rule I never liked problems with hints. Call it a pet peeve so that it qualifies for this thread. I felt that it intruded on my autonomy. The general consensus was that I was nuts.

I can remember a couple of times as a math student when I thought that my solution was too long and inelegant, but was all I could see. So when I did later see the trick, I really appreciated it.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#131 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 08:07

I can see this issue from both sides.

As a student I hated it when I had put lots of time into solving a problem in a way I invented myself, only to have the teacher put me down with a "sorry I can't follow your reasoning", while fellow students who took the easy route (using the hint or copying a solution to a similar problem given in the textbook) got top grades.

But as a teacher who is payed for spending no more than 10 minutes per test form evaluation, I didn't always have the patience to try to follow the complicated reasonings of the more independent students.

But maybe it is a good thing that the wanna-be Einsteins learn the hard way that they have to be very careful to present their original thoughts in a way that is digestible to a stupid/impatient audience such as for example teachers. Because it won't help you much in your future life (post school) to be a genius if nobody understands your ideas.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#132 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-March-12, 08:35

But his "original way" of doing things was not clever at all. It amounted to a long unnecessary calculation, essentially proving a lot of known formulas (the hint was just quoting some equations from the textbook).
      George Carlin

#133 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 09:05

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-11, 16:43, said:

I think I can understand that. While it's not noise, the constant gesticulating can still be distracting. If you're trying to sleep I don't suppose it would bother you, but if you're trying to read it could.

Come to think of it, it bugs me when seat mates on airplanes, trains and buses are constantly fidgeting. I'll tell her I empathize now.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#134 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-March-14, 03:39

Youtube ads.
      George Carlin

#135 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 04:40

View Postgwnn, on 2012-March-14, 03:39, said:

Youtube ads.

My pet peeve is people thinking all creative content should be free. And that everything on the internet in particular should be free. All that data and hosting, no money. WEEEE.

*this is not to say, I'm not a frequent user of sites that offer such content illegally for free, simply that I don't think I'm owed it and don't mind when these sites get shut down or try to go legit with ads.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#136 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-March-14, 04:45

Can't I be peeved by something and recognise its necessity at the same time? At least a little bit? :(
      George Carlin

#137 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 05:13

View Postgwnn, on 2012-March-14, 04:45, said:

Can't I be peeved by something and recognise its necessity at the same time? At least a little bit? :(

absolutely...I was being honest, you'd just reminded me of a pet peeve of mine. I really do hate when people complain that megavideo is gone and youtube has ads, and all that.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#138 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 06:20

View Postgwnn, on 2012-March-14, 03:39, said:

Youtube ads.

People complaining about Youtube ads also greatly peeves me but for different reasons. Why aren't they using Adblock if it bothers them so much?

#139 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-March-14, 06:28

View Postbroze, on 2012-March-14, 06:20, said:

People complaining about Youtube ads also greatly peeves me but for different reasons. Why aren't they using Adblock if it bothers them so much?

laziness? :)

I'm not sure, though, whether adblock can actually block the little film ads from before the videos? Are we talking about the same ads?
      George Carlin

#140 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 07:09

View Postgwnn, on 2012-March-14, 06:28, said:

laziness? :)

I'm not sure, though, whether adblock can actually block the little film ads from before the videos? Are we talking about the same ads?

Yes we are, and yes it can! :)

I've been using chrome and firefox with Adblock for years now and I've never seen a pre-video ad.

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users