BBO Discussion Forums: Someone should write a good book on just competitive auctions - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Someone should write a good book on just competitive auctions Is this a wtp call?

Poll: Someone should write a good book on just competitive auctions (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. X (17 votes [36.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.96%

3. 2D (29 votes [63.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.04%

4. 2H (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 2S (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-29, 02:08

All white at MP you start the following auction:

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-29, 02:15

In response to the title: it's already been written.
In response to the subtitle: yes.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 04:21

2D. You've got more than a minimum, there's no need to deny the diamond suit by bidding 2S, and you're about a queen light for a double.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 04:40

In response to the title: it's already been written.

And what is it ?

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 04:49

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-February-29, 04:40, said:

And what is it ?

Partnership Bidding at Bridge
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 04:53

Right, I forgot this one.
I agree, this is quite good.
As you reminded me of that one it's good opportunity to re-read :)

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 05:07

As long as you play double is takeout, then that is the perfect and "routine" call. If you don't play double as takeout, I would say 2D is automatic, but you should then quickly change your agreements. Double being takeout here is definitely a dominate agreement for adv+ players, but perhaps would be misinterpreted without discussion by a b/i or a non modern bidder.

You do not need extra values to double over 2C, although our hand is quite suitable for whatever happens (if partner passes, that's fine, if partner bids something, nice).

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 05:26

Hi Justin,

let's say partner is 4-4 in the reds and we bid a takeout double. How do you see the auction continuing?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-February-29, 06:17

At imps I suppose I would expect him usually to bid 2D unless he had a good enough hand that he was hoping for me to raise 2H so he could bid game (but not good enough to bid stronger than that). At MP I suppose he might bid 2H more often especially with good hearts to try and play a higher scoring partial. With a strong hand and 4-4 I'd expect him to cuebid.

Partner being exactly 4-4 is just not something I consume myself with. Doubling has so much upside beyond that. I mean for starters, partner might just have a pass, then I'm happy. Partner might be 1534 and pass 2D or 25xx and bid 2S over 2D. Partner might bid 2N over 2D but avoid it over X since he knows we have a stiff club. Etc etc.

There are always bad shapes/holdings when you make a takeout double. I double 1S with 1345 rather than bid 2C, even thoguh partner will be stretching to bid hearts. If it goes 4D on my right I don't consider not doubling with 5413 because partner will bid the wrong major with 3-3 in the majors or whatever.

In this case if my downside is 4-4, I am not even that concerned about it, sometimes partner will bid diamonds and if he has a good hnd or good hearts we might scramble a good amount of tricks in 2H.

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 06:50

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-29, 06:17, said:

At imps I suppose I would expect him usually to bid 2D unless he had a good enough hand that he was hoping for me to raise 2H so he could bid game (but not good enough to bid stronger than that). At MP I suppose he might bid 2H more often especially with good hearts to try and play a higher scoring partial. With a strong hand and 4-4 I'd expect him to cuebid.

Partner being exactly 4-4 is just not something I consume myself with. Doubling has so much upside beyond that. I mean for starters, partner might just have a pass, then I'm happy. Partner might be 1534 and pass 2D or 25xx and bid 2S over 2D. Partner might bid 2N over 2D but avoid it over X since he knows we have a stiff club. Etc etc.

There are always bad shapes/holdings when you make a takeout double. I double 1S with 1345 rather than bid 2C, even thoguh partner will be stretching to bid hearts. If it goes 4D on my right I don't consider not doubling with 5413 because partner will bid the wrong major with 3-3 in the majors or whatever.

In this case if my downside is 4-4, I am not even that concerned about it, sometimes partner will bid diamonds and if he has a good hnd or good hearts we might scramble a good amount of tricks in 2H.

The trouble in my opinion is less that partner may bid the wrong red suit, but that it looks unlikely that you can catch them in 2X with a good score.
(Would you also double if you were void in clubs and the J would have been the J? Obviously you now have a "perfect" takeout DBL, yet partner will leave the DBL in a high percentage of time.)
For starters nobody is vulnerable, so for a good score you would have to hold them to 6 tricks.
Is that likely, given that partner is under the 2 bidder?

Maybe a world class partner will judge correctly when to leave such a double in and when not.
I have been hurt too often. I prefer a quiet 2 for now, considering a "takeout" double premature.

Rainer Herrmann

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 07:58

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-29, 05:07, said:

As long as you play double is takeout, then that is the perfect and "routine" call.

I am interested in this since I learned that double in this spot (after a 2 overcall) tends to suggest 4 hearts while 2 tends to suggest 5 hearts. Does the take-out double beforehand sufficiently change the percentages in the heart suit to change this or am I just being old-fashioned again?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-29, 10:47

Double is takeout, just as if LHO passed instead of doubled. We have the perfect shape for it, and I don't think because we are heavy in two suits this becomes a 2 call.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-29, 11:02

View PostPhil, on 2012-February-29, 10:47, said:

and I don't think because we are heavy in two suits this becomes a 2 call.

This is why I would choose 2 rather than double, and happy to learn why double is better.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 14:46

View Postjillybean, on 2012-February-29, 11:02, said:

This is why I would choose 2 rather than double, and happy to learn why double is better.

I would choose 2 partly for this same reason, and partly because I think partner would have chosen 1 if he had five of them, or maybe four good ones. While it is true we may end in a 7-card fit anyway, the spades and diamonds look better for this purpose, at least I know we have trump quality.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 16:14

View Postbillw55, on 2012-February-29, 14:46, said:

I would choose 2 partly for this same reason, and partly because I think partner would have chosen 1 if he had five of them, or maybe four good ones.

There may have been other reasons for not choosing 1, e.g. perhaps partner dislikes the tournament director and doesn't want to see him.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#16 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 16:51

Double is takeout, just as if LHO passed instead of doubled. We have the perfect shape for it, and I don't think because we are heavy in two suits this becomes a 2♦ call.

I voted double but I changed my mind.
I think double should be stronger. Partner is in 5-11 range and if we hope to ever bid reasonable games here he needs to make forward moving action with (8)9-11 opposite our double.
Maybe we could just assume that if both of them are bidding those considerations are less important, I dunno. It seems clear to me that:
1S - p - 1N 2C
dbl should promise stronger hand though.

I am not convinced that it changes here but it well might be so if partner is on the same wave-length.

#17 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-February-29, 16:56

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-February-29, 16:51, said:

I voted double but I changed my mind.
I think double should be stronger. Partner is in 5-11 range and if we hope to ever bid reasonable games here he needs to make forward moving action with (8)9-11 opposite our double.
Maybe we could just assume that if both of them are bidding those considerations are less important, I dunno. It seems clear to me that:
1S - p - 1N 2C
dbl should promise stronger hand though.

How do you come to that conclusion? Are you passing or something? If you bid 2D, you have the exact same problem of having a wide range, but you have described your hand less. Having wide ranges in 1M p 1N auctions is part of life in 2/1/SAYC like systems.

#18 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-February-29, 17:00

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-February-29, 07:58, said:

I am interested in this since I learned that double in this spot (after a 2 overcall) tends to suggest 4 hearts while 2 tends to suggest 5 hearts. Does the take-out double beforehand sufficiently change the percentages in the heart suit to change this or am I just being old-fashioned again?

I have never heard of this but I have heard it suggested the other way (I think there was a thread on this forum about this?) that you should bid 2H with 4 hearts and avoid doubling with 4 hearts or something.

To me, I am happy to be able to show a stiff club and support for the other suits and go from there. I would also be doubling with 6421 sometimes (definitely with a strong enough hand to force to 3S), and sometimes with 6331 (definitely if I had enough to force to 3S as I can double and bid 3S). I am just trying to describe my hand and try to get to the best spot overall, and I think doubling with both 5431 and 5341 is the best way to do that.

#19 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-February-29, 17:02

View Postrhm, on 2012-February-29, 06:50, said:

The trouble in my opinion is less that partner may bid the wrong red suit, but that it looks unlikely that you can catch them in 2X with a good score.
(Would you also double if you were void in clubs and the J would have been the J? Obviously you now have a "perfect" takeout DBL, yet partner will leave the DBL in a high percentage of time.)
For starters nobody is vulnerable, so for a good score you would have to hold them to 6 tricks.
Is that likely, given that partner is under the 2 bidder?

Maybe a world class partner will judge correctly when to leave such a double in and when not.
I have been hurt too often. I prefer a quiet 2 for now, considering a "takeout" double premature.

Rainer Herrmann

Hi Rainer, I think it is very pesismistic to think that if partner passes we won't get a good score. We have quick tricks and the jack of clubs. I do not consider 5440 a perfect takeout double, I would double with it also but I would be scared partner would pass. In general I never think having a void is the perfect shape for any takeout double.

I also don't like the argument that for a good score we'd have to beat them 2. If partner has long or good clubs and scattered values, why should we be making anything?

#20 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 07:49

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-February-29, 16:14, said:

There may have been other reasons for not choosing 1, e.g. perhaps partner dislikes the tournament director and doesn't want to see him.

haha you got me. I misread the auction.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users