• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two Missed Slams

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-27, 11:17

Over the past month, my partner and I have missed two good slams that were both bid by the other table.

The 1st:

The 2nd:

Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-27, 12:12

On the first one, I think East should trade in his abacus for a real hand evaluation method: to all this a 22-23 notrump hand is just plain awful. we have 8....count them....8 controls and a solid 5 card suit...this is a 24-25 hcp hand, and closer to 25 than to 24. Anyone who adds this to 23 doesn't understand the value of controls, the value of honours in combination.....the Q/J of spades have been upgraded by possession of the AK, and the value of the 5th trick in spades....doesn't this hand offer as many tricks as AKQJ Kxx AQx AQx? would he downgrade that to 23?

If East shows his real values, then West will drive to slam

On the second one, I have a lot more sympathy for both players....I'd probably miss the slam as well. West did all he could via 4...indeed, one could argue for a conservative 4...the 5th trump is probably irrevelant for slam purposes and he's already shown a gf. Having bid 4, he has to be 'done' even when he hears 4. I think it is asking too much for him to bid 5, tho had he done so, East would bid slam.

As for East....I do think he could well have chosen another call over 4....it's tough to imagine no 5 level safety opposite a hand that made a mild slam try, and had he cued spades he'd have heard a diamond cue and now maybe he'd go....but maybe not, since in this scenario, West has signed off over 4. I'd chalk this one up to both players being a trifle on the conservative side. Adjust their micrometers a tad on either side, and slam would have been reached. If this is the worst slam bidding this partnership has, they're going to be ok. However, the first hand is a very different story.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-27, 12:19

Agree that east gets the lion's share on the 2nd. Not sure what else west is supposed to do. I think east should move on the first one also, although the slam appears to be about 45%, so it shouldn't be too disappointing to miss it.

edit: I guess it's 45+the chance that they don't lead a club, so maybe it's better than I give it credit for, but with so many clubs out there...
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-27, 12:22

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-27, 12:19, said:

edit: I guess it's 45+the chance that they don't lead a club, so maybe it's better than I give it credit for, but with so many clubs out there...

I would think with the 4 cue a club lead is less appealing.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-27, 12:35

Can't argue with the comments made above. Funny thing is that the second missed slam - the one that is most difficult to bid - is cold, and the first missed slam - the one which gets the most criticism - is not that great a slam. On a non-club lead, it requires 3-2 trump (with a safety play available to guard against 4-1 if you guess which opponent has the long trump and one of the QJT is singleton), while on a club lead, you need 3-2 trump (with no safety play available) and for the defender with the long trump to follow to 3 rounds of spades. All in all, you want to bid it, but it is not the world's best slam.

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-27, 14:24

View PostPhil, on 2012-February-27, 11:17, said:

Over the past month, my partner and I have missed two good slams that were both bid by the other table.

The 1st:

On the 1st one, after the 4D cue ( must be the K ) , Opener can practically count 13 tricks if partner has the A and Q of .
Opener should go RKC with 4S! ( kickback ) .
Then, after finding the Ace ( let's say the 5C reply ), 5D-asks for the Q .
And Opener can still pass the 5H reply ( no Q ) with "cold feet" .... or bid small slam .

EDIT: I'm assuming Responder recognizes the 4C bid as an advance cue agreeing ... and not a natural 5 card suit looking for an alternate strain.

This post has been edited by TWO4BRIDGE: 2012-February-27, 14:36

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-27, 15:26

How good a slam is the first one, you appear to need hearts 3-2 and the hand with 3 hearts to follow to 3 spades on a club lead in 6 unless I've missed something (I've missed that ArtK78 already said this). You should show the hand as a balanced 24-25, but still not convinced you get there.

The second is all on E. IMO W has shown not only a GF, but a hand too good to simply raise 3 to 4, so 4 shouldn't end the auction. Funnily enough the second might be easier if you open 1 depending on how many clubs get bid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users